Friday 31 January 2014

Mother of Pearl Button Jewellery

This week i've been working on some jewellery made from vintage mother of pearl buttons.  As a child I love to sort through my grandmothers button box and my favourites were always the mother of pearl.

I started with a blank silver coloured charm bracelet chain and using grey MOP buttons I added a jump ring to one of the holes.  I attached these to the chain at regular intervals.  The I got some crystal beads that are clear on one side and silvered on the other.  I put these on silver plated findings and topped them with smaller black bi-cone beads. I attached these in front of the buttons. I got a larger crystal & black bead and put them on a headpin for the end of the extender chain.

I am quite pleased with the end result.

These photos also show how bad my cutting mat has got with adhesive.  I really need a new one :)

The second button bracelet is called "Bells, buttons and bows"  I used creamy coloured MOP buttons in varying sizes and types and strung the interspersed with little silver bells and cream coloured bows on jump rings.  This one took around 3 hours to do.




I do have it for sale on Etsy but i'm thinking of keeping it for my eBid.net friend Buttons-and-bows as she was my inspiration for it.

Started knitting a striped bag that came as a kit with a knitting magazine but the arthritis got the better of me and I only managed 2 rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment